Wednesday, April 26, 2006

When they Give you their Good Pen!

I had an exam duty today, another curse of academic profession. The class writing the exam was huge and there were two of us.

In the morning, while going to the class I somehow forgot to take a pen. Now I have to sign all the copies of the students. I saw one of the students sitting with two pens. I asked if I can borrow one for fifteen minutes? He gave me the one he was writing with. Later, when I returned it to him, he started writing with it again. It feels nice when students do these small things, like giving their 'good' pen, just because I taught them a course last semester. I don't even teach them this semester.

As Calvin says: "They say the satisfaction of teaching makes up for the lousy pay."

6 Comments:

Blogger Anu said...

That was a cute one....I know exactly what you mean....I was a teacher myself. I loved preparing for class, the class itself, the lab work..., but exam duty.... believe me, I would rather be writing the exam than be the invigilator. As I read the first line of your post I was transported to a big examination hall on a still summer afternoon and I had to stifle a big yawn.

4/26/2006 11:36 PM  
Blogger Mridula said...

Anu, thanks a lot for your lovely comment. My first love in academics is research but I have very little to show about it as of now :)

4/27/2006 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Students can be nice. Heck! Even I've been nice to teachers I love. And sometimes even to those I don't.

5/01/2006 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I now believe some belonging to the latter category should be tortured and shot.

5/01/2006 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, only sometimes.

5/01/2006 11:42 AM  
Blogger Mridula said...

Anirudh, I was once upon a time a student and I too knew about a category which used to bug me a lot. What I was not aware was about the various 'student categories' that I now know about.

5/01/2006 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home