Thursday, June 01, 2006

An Interesting Quote from The New York Times

From New York Times article titled 'Why the Democratic Ethic of the World Wide Web May Be About to End' by Adam Cohen:
The World Wide Web is the most democratic mass medium there has ever been. Freedom of the press, as the saying goes, belongs only to those who own one. Radio and television are controlled by those rich enough to buy a broadcast license. But anyone with an Internet-connected computer can reach out to a potential audience of billions.
The emphasis in the above paragraph is mine and those are the lines that I enjoyed reading most. How very much I agree with it but could never have found the exact words to say so, 'freedom of press' hollow ring to it these days.

5 Comments:

Blogger karmic said...

Freedom of press does ring hollow. I think we should have a qualifier at the end of it or an asterisk.
As for the NYT article, that issue has been flaoting around the blogosphere for a while now. The press has picked up the story rather later in the game. The liberal blogs that I frequent as well as some on the other side want net neutrality and are working to keep the big companies at bay. I believe we will eventually prevail.
Doing the whole sign petitions/call my elected representative bit.
We cannot have a multi tiered internet, it has to stay open.
I love your blog, it's nice to read about stuff like this.

6/01/2006 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you link my latest post?

6/02/2006 2:13 AM  
Blogger karmic said...

Ashish, I have no idea what you mean by "We are the press". Care to explain?

6/05/2006 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PLease visit OBCVOice.blogspot again and help me in baring the double standards of this guy

6/14/2006 8:21 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I'm late to this party, but I agree - the net must remain a place of free expression.

6/14/2006 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home